Fellowship in Day Surgery – Torbay Hospital, Torquay
The post would suit a higher trainee who wants experience and training in anaesthesia for day surgery. The post would be for 6-12 months with a view to achieving higher or advanced training in day surgery and would particularly suit being combined with our 6 month fellowship in peri-operative medicine post.
Torbay Hospital has an extremely well regarded dedicated day surgery unit. The unit has four operating theatres and a procedure room and performs approximately 10,000 out of the trust’s 17,000 elective procedures per annum. Over 70% of all surgical procedures performed at the trust are performed as day cases, some through the main theatre suite. The unit has utilised electronic records since it opened enabling efficient processes, audit and research to be carried out. We have a follow-up database comprising of over 100,000 patient records. We have no limit on age, ASA or BMI for our unit.
You will have the opportunity to gain experience in the perioperative anaesthetic management for wide range of day surgical cases including complex procedures and the management of patients with significant comorbidities. Clinical experience available includes:
- Adult ENT, Maxillofacial, Urology, Upper GI, Colorectal, Vascular, Plastics, Orthopaedic, Gynae.
- Paediatric ENT (inc day case paed tonsillectomy), Urology, General Surgery, Dental lists
- Awake Hand Surgery
- Laparoscopic major gynaecology surgery (including Lap Hysterectomy)
- Laparoscopic Nephrectomy
- Uni-compartmental Knee Replacements
Many of the opportunities and benefits from this module surround developing leadership & management skills. The post holder will be expected to engage with the organisational aspects of running a day surgery unit and work as part of a multidisciplinary team. There will be opportunities to get involved in teaching and training and attend management meetings.
Duties of the post include:
- Approximately 1-2 days per week of protected lists with a focus on day surgery
- Approximately half a day per week of post-fellowship study time- for audit, service development and research
- Participation in the out of hours registrar rota (generally between 1:7 and 1: 8 with internal cross cover))
The post will concentrate on day surgery anaesthesia but on occasions there may be an element of general service duties.