Fellow in Vascular Anaesthesia – Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, Cornwall
The post would suit a higher or advanced Specialty Trainee who wants experience and training in the management of complex vascular patients. The post would be for 6 - 12 months with a view to achieving higher or advanced training in vascular anaesthesia.
The Royal Cornwall Hospital vascular unit has recently been designated as the Cornwall Vascular Institute, and is recognised as one of the centres for vascular surgery for the Cornwall and Devon peninsula. The unit performs in excess of 50 AAA repairs per year, of which about 40 will be endovascular cases in our dedicated interventional radiology theatre. There will be the opportunity to take part in vascular MDT meetings and to be involved in the shared decision making process. There is also the opportunity to be involved in pre and peri-operative echocardiography. One of our consultant anaesthetists is a British Society of Echocardiography accredited trainer who would be happy to act as a mentor, should the successful candidate which to pursue echo accreditation. Ample opportunity will exist to perform upper and lower limb regional anaesthesia for fistula formation and distal amputation. The centre provides an urgent/expedited service for carotid endarterectomies, both under local and general anaesthesia. There may be an opportunity for the successful post-holder to attend CPEX testing in Torbay/Plymouth.
Duties of the post include:
• Approximately 2-3 days per week of protected vascular anaesthesia.
• Vascular Pre-operative assessment clinic, Multi-disciplinary team meetings, risk stratification, shared decision making
• Opportunity and post-fellowship study time for audit, quality improvement and research.
• Provide supervised anaesthesia for vascular procedures in our dedicated Interventional Radiology Suite.
• Participation in the out of hours registrar rota (currently 1:8 with internal cross cover)
The post will concentrate on vascular anaesthesia but on occasions there will be an element of general service duties.