Fellowship in Airway Anaesthesia – Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, Cornwall
The post would suit a higher or advanced Specialty Trainee who wants experience and training in anaesthesia for ENT and Maxillofacial surgery including patients with complex and difficult airways. The post would be for 3 - 6 months with a view to achieving higher or advanced training in ENT and Maxillofacial anaesthesia.
This would provide the trainee with skills in
-ENT and Maxillofacial anaesthesia
-Anaesthesia for Head and Neck cancer including laser laryngeal surgery and laryngectomy
-Management of patients with difficult airways
-Airway anaesthesia skills including THRIVE, jet ventilation, videolaryngoscopy and fibreoptic intubation
Duties of the post include:
- 2 to 3 days per week in protected ENT, Head and Neck cancer and Maxillofacial anaesthesia.
- Post fellowship study time (1 session per week) to be used to pursue relevant audit, service improvement, research or management projects.
- There are opportunities to attend the Pre-assessment clinic including CPET testing.
- Participation in the out of hours registrar rota (currently 1:8 with internal cross cover)
- The airway fellow would be expected to participate in delivering the annual departmental airway governance meeting which is one of the highlights of the RCHT Governance programme.
The post will concentrate on ENT and Maxillofacial anaesthesia but on occasions there will be an element of general service duties.
There is opportunity to be involved in teaching, simulation, CPET testing and research whilst at RCHT.