Fellowship in Regional Anaesthesia – Torbay Hospital, Torquay
The post would suit a higher trainee who wants experience and training in the management of patients requiring regional anaesthesia. The post would be for 6 - 12 months with a view to achieving higher or advanced training in regional anaesthesia.
Torbay hospital has a well-established regional anaesthesia service providing ‘awake’ surgery for approximately 83% of patients undergoing day case hand surgery. We are currently in the process of expanding this service into foot and ankle and shoulder surgery. The post holder will be expected to engage with this process and in doing so will gain valuable service development experience.
As well as orthopaedic focused regional anaesthesia, there will also be opportunities to gain experience in the use of regional anaesthesia in other surgical specialities- for example general surgery, obstetrics and breast surgery.
There will also be opportunities for the post holder to get involved in teaching and training- at a local level and also potentially at a regional or national level.
Training will be provided in:
- Ultrasound guided techniques
- Peripheral nerve stimulating techniques
- Continuous catheter techniques
- Critical care applications (Chest scanning and Echo)
Duties of the post include:
- Approximately 1-2 days per week of protected lists with a focus on regional anaesthesia
- Approximately half a day per week of post-fellowship study time- for audit, service development and research
- Participation in the out of hours registrar rota (generally between 1:7 and 1: 8 with internal cross cover))
The post will concentrate on regional anaesthesia but on occasions there may be an element of general service duties.