SIA in Perioperative Medicine and Health Promotion- Torbay Hospital, Torquay
The post would suit a registrar during stage 3 of the curriculum, who would like experience and training in perioperative medicine. This includes rehabilitation before surgery (prehabilitation), high-quality individualised preoperative assessment, co-morbidity optimisation and multi-disciplinary shared decision-making. The post would be for 6-12 months.
Our institution was one of the first in the country to adopt the use of cardiopulmonary exercise testing for risk stratification before surgery, and so have over 15 years experience in this field. Additionally, we have a nationally recognised day surgery unit and the post combines opportunities to gain experience in the perioperative anaesthetic management for wide range of day surgical cases including complex procedures and the management of patients with significant comorbidities. We utilise electronic anaesthetic patient records, and as such have collected extensive data and the post would include many opportunities for research and quality improvement. The post could be combined with a non-clinical SIA such as Safety and Quality Improvement, Management or Research and Managing Data.
The preoperative assessment clinic and shared decision-making clinic are based at Torbay Hospital with established international expertise in high-risk assessment and shared-decision making. There are 4-7 shared decision-making clinics per week and 5 in-patient pre-operative clinics per week. There is opportunity to follow high-risk patients for major elective surgery seen in clinic throughout their perioperative journey until discharge.
Training and duties of the post will include:
- Approximately 1-2 days per week of protected ‘perioperative medicine’.
- Pre-operative assessment clinics
- Shared decision-making clinics with training in CPET and risk stratification
- Opportunities to learn from POETTs accredited clinicians and one of the National GIRFT Clinical leads
- Multi-disciplinary team meetings
- Experience in pre-operative exercise training
- Extensive opportunities in pathway development, management, quality improvement and research
- Approximately half a day per week of post-fellowship study time for audit, service improvement and research.
- Supervised and independent anaesthesia for general surgical procedures/high risk procedures and Acute Pain rounds
- Experience of “Enhanced Care” facilities
- Participation in the registrar on-call rota (generally between 1:7 and 1: 8 with internal cross cover)